Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Raise High the Roof Beam




On the return trip home from Vegas I re-read Salinger's Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters. I'm sure it's obvious by now that when I say my blog is about "daily indulgences" there's a definite lean towards fashion. And while I hope that my love affair with that medium is evident, it's important to know that my other indulgence in life really is literature. Literature has always been my first love and always will be, despite those occasional flings with fashion. It's funny how seeing a beautiful dress can make my heart race like a line in a poem.

Salinger's dedication begins like this: "If there is an amateur reader still left in the world - or anybody who just reads and runs..." I dont think I ever really read these words before, and while I wouldnt consider myself an amateur reader, it hit me that I was reading these words on the run, on my way home. It's moments like that when I know that I'm where I'm supposed to be, doing exactly what it is I'm supposed to do.

"Raise high the roof beam, carpenters. Like Ares comes the bridegroom, taller far than a tall man. Love Irving Sappho, formerly under contract to Elysium Studios Ltd. Please be happy, happy, happy with your beautiful Muriel. This is an order. I outrank everyone on this block."

1 comment: