Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mum's the Word




This is a love letter long overdue. As my birthday approaches I realize it is not only my day, but a day I can truly share with my parents. I'm so thankful for them as they are the best gift I have been given. It's completely out of your hands who your parents are chosen to be and I'm still not sure how I found myself lucky enough to have the mum and dad I have had for 25 years.

One of my most cherished gifts is the pearls my mother gave me. They were given to her from my father. Over the summer we got them re-strung. I love wearing them, layering them, and learning about caring for them - one of the most valauble lessons my mother has passed down to me. She also taught me that every woman should have one pair of pearls and looks elegant wearing them. Needless to say, I follow her advice every chance I get. I even wore these at my college graduation. The fact that they are from my dad makes them sweeter, as this strand has passed through the hands of both of them and on to me.

My mother's other jewelry favorite is Black Hills gold. These drop earrings were hers and my grandmother passed them on to me. I'm very picky when it comes to anything that's not studs. But I love the simplicity of these.

My mum's true hobby is jewelry making nowadays. She has always been creative, but she loves making jewelry and gifting it to others. This was a passion I didn't understand at first but after working at Stampington, it becomes more clear. And like writing for me, I'm glad my mum has something she loves to carry her through every storm, day, night, and ounce of free time. And it's yet another way in which she leaves her imprint on my tastes and styles. She made these necklaces for me (which I love to layer), and these bracelets and earrings too. Thanks mum and dad for passing your wisdom, friendship and love onto me. Without these things I wouldnt be the person I am today, 25 (almost) years in the making.




3 comments:

  1. Sweet Beth,
    What is your birth date? Please let me know
    :-)
    XOXO Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautifully moving post.

    Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete