Wednesday, June 6, 2012

And Wherever You've Gone & Wherever We Might Go








I've wanted to share this jewelry from Melanie Favreau for a few days now. As an editor and writer, I love the ampersand. I love connecting two people or two things in such a way, with such a historical symbol. And her sailor's knots are beautiful as well. They help you to never forget.

This blog post is about jewelry, but it is also about two people I will never forget. One is my great aunt, who passed away Monday morning. I visited her in Indiana not too long ago and wrote about it here. Aunt Myrtle was lively when I last saw her. She taught English & Latin, and did me the honor of telling us much of our family history. She was a true storyteller, and I am so glad I recorded her stories in my personal writings.

And then there's Ray Bradbury, who I never had the pleasure of meeting in person. He passed this morning. Another storyteller for the ages.

Myrtle & Ray.

Sometimes there is never really a clear connection between people and events. But as I said previously, I love making a connection on my own. The stories these two have left me are ones I will surely not forget. Jewelry can illustrate those feelings we are searching to collect. And sometimes other people's words are best in describing how all these disparate matters somehow come together. I heard Pearl Jam's "Light Years" a couple of weeks ago. I had completely forgotten about this song, which I absolutely loved when it came out 12 years ago.I can't believe I had forgotten something I loved so much. In 12 years so much has changed, but these words have found me now, and their purpose is clear:

"I've understood feelings and I've understood words
but how could you be taken away?
and wherever you've gone
and wherever we might go
it don't seem fair...today just disappeared
your light's reflected now, reflected from afar
we were but stones, your light made us stars
 with heavy breath, awakened regrets
back pages and days alone that could have been spent, together
but we were miles apart
every inch between us becomes light years now
no time to be void or save up on life
you got to spend it all..
and wherever you've gone
and wherever we might go
it don't seem fair...you seem to like it here
your light's reflected now, reflected from afar
we were but stones, your light made us stars"

I'm hoping today we can all recall a great story, remember important words, cherish those closest to us, make something meaningful & read a good book.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I forgot about that song, too. And love it.
    I'm sorry about your Aunt, but glad you got to spend time with her and listen to her stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt. I heard about Ray Bradbury passing and that made me sad as well. His stories have such a haunting quality to them.

    I lost my two grandmothers and my father in the past couple of years. A lot of history went with them. I find myself telling my 6 year old daughter stories about them even though she doesn't remember them that well.

    You are smart to have recorded your Aunt's history.

    ReplyDelete