Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Big-Girl Dress










I got an absolutely darling Christmas present from my friend Bonnie yesterday. It's been ages since I read a children's book. I forgot how beautiful the illustrations can be. Birdie's Big-Girl Dress by Sujean Rim (Hachette, 2011) brought back a flood of memories for me.

The story is about Birdie's search for the perfect party dress. I have to admit, there are some killer closets and dress contenders in this book. And Birdie's mom has mad style! Birdie dreams of "fluttery floral sundresses, lovely lace sheaths, (and) chic chiffon gowns..." But at the end of the day Birdie settles on a dress that is not new, but something she found in her attic, belonging to her grandparents. I love how this book teaches about personal style, and I know I personally love the things passed down to me from my grandparents more than I love many new items I own.

I always think that the greatest gift parents can give children is the ability to read. And I remember many Christmases filled with gifts of books under the tree. On Christmas Eve, or any other night, my parents or sometimes my grandparents, would read us bedtime stories, even after I knew how to read them myself. There's something very special about children's books, they mold our imagination and influence us. There's something so very loving about a parent reading to a child, because through literacy, almost anything is possible. And for me, there is something so sentimental about receiving books as gifts, as it means the giver is presenting me with knowledge, words, and dares to push the limits of my mind.

Thank you, Bonnie for such a delightful gift, that brought back so much. You've given me more than you know : )

Happy Giving!

2 comments:

  1. I am a avid collector of children's book!! This one is so sweet, I love the illustrations!!
    I agree that a book is the best adventure you can give anyone of any age!!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    x0x0x
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's my kind of book! I too love children's books and this one looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete