Thursday, June 10, 2010

Style Notes: Rhinestone Trim








Diamonds are supposedly a girl's best friend. But for those of us who cannot afford the real thing sometimes rhinestones will have to do. To be honest, I rather love a good rhinestone. The trim on this latest line of accessories from Juicy is simple, clean, and still adds a bit of shine. I like how the headband can be wrapped around in layers on your arm for a bracelet. I bought the Daydreamer Tote in pale ash. Just the right amount of bling, like a bracelet for your bag.
I'm reminded of one of my favorite stories, The Diamond as Big as the Ritz, by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Everyone should read it. There are many twists I dont want to give away, but one of the most poignant parts of the story is when the protagonist steals what he believes to be diamonds and it turns out they are only rhinestones. It calls into question the entire story because what was perceived as real and valuable may now only be an imitation of wealth. What are the things we assign value to? Why? What makes one thing precious and another an imposter? Be careful my friends. Heavily weigh those things you value. You may find that your true treasures lie elsewhere.
I love that these bags are big enough to pack some summer reading in. While many may value the bag itself, it's what's inside that actually carries the most weight.

1 comment: